The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
King and Country Tank Repair Crew WH069Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Marvel Minimates SDCC X-Force First Appearance DeadpoolHasbro takara 1988 transformer G1 PRETENDER COULDBURST Complet PretendersGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Steamforged Games Guild Ball Morticians the Master of Puppets S3 Miniature Gamessince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
King & Land Afrika Korps AK129 a. K. MG 42 Gun Unterstützung Team MIBDragon+ 1 6th scale Action figures WW11 STALINGRAD 1942 SNIPER MISHA
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Jesse Hermandez Jaguar Knight, Vinyl toys, collectible
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Vintage Action Man, Beechehead AssaultBBI Elite Force collectable action figure 1 6 scale 12” US Army Green BeretVTG 1990 WWF ULTIMATE WARRIOR TALKING 12 ACTION FIGURE EUROPEAN
Thunder Snow (20-1):Big Elf Figurine - TRUSTED FRIENDS - Fantasy Gothic Fairy Decor This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Warhammer Age of Sigmar Beasts Chaos Metal OOP Centigor Command 17
- Hobby Boss - German German Boxer Mrav Incl. Etched Parts Model Kit 1 3 5 Tip
- FLY C56 PORSCHE 917-K KM OSTERREICHRING 1970 KURT AHRENS HELMUT MARKO MB
- HUBSAN X4C MINI QUADCOPTER CAMERA MODULE UPGRADE (200W)
- Eisco PH0138C - Jolly Bulb with Gauge - 60mm Diameter Glass Bulb
- Hobbymaster 1 72 Scale HA2312 Bristol Beaufighter TF Mk.X Torpil Bombardiman 105
- IXO Altaya ALT26 Yamaha YZR M1 MotoGP 2005 - Ruben Xaus 1 24 Scale
- 1997 Fao Schwartz Limited Gi Joe Army golden Knight
- Game Of Thrones Nights Watch Embroidered Logo Mens Zip-Up Hoodie Sweatshirt
- Lego Minecraft The Nether Fortress 21122 With Box,Instructions and Fig
- WWE (2)goldBERG Summer Slam & Survivor Series Action Figures Jakks Wrestling NIP
- Edge Sitter - Elf with Bouquet - Fantasy Fairy Decorative Gift
- Justyna wooden marionette puppet (handmade in Czech Republic)
- DC Comics Justice League Interactive Talking Heroes Wonder Woman
- HASEGAWA 1 72 B-24J US ARMY AIR FORCE HEAVY BOMBER
- Kyosho Turbo Scorpion 1 10 2WD Set `Legendary Series` 30616
- Lemon Rx DSMX 7 Channel Full Telemetry Diversity Receiver + Vario Power Altitude
- 1 18 Classics - Holden FE Special - Teal bluee over Elk bluee
- Oreca Nissan Retired (Accident) Graves-A.Hamilton-Nakano 1 43 Spark S3747 Model
- SCANIA R580 diecast lorry with KRONE BIG M trailer, 1 50, UNIVERSAL HOBBIES
- LEGO DUPLO IN BOX 10856