The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
10 PLASTIC WARHAMMER ORK NOB NOBZ WELL PAINTED (4178)Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
WARHAMMER 40K SPACE MARINES BLOOD ANGELS ARMY - MANY UNITS TO CHOOSE FROMWarhammer 40,000 Space Marines Limited Edition Skullz Banner Bearer 393Gormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) 40K SPACE MARINES PRIMARIS IMPERIAL FISTS COLOURS - MANY UNITS TO CHOOSE FROMsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines Stormraven Gunship 635Oop Painted I Kore Veridian Army
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Warhammer 40k Necron Lychguard x 10
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Warhammer 40,000 Dark Eldar Drukhari Metal Archon 1The Hobbit Strategy Battle Game The White Council 24 PRO-PAINTED 28MM english civil war col taylors (bristol) regiment of foot
Thunder Snow (20-1):Warhammer 40k Army Orks Burna Boyz x5 Painted And Based This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- NECROMUNDA - ESCHER GANG - METAL OOP PAINTED s7
- A Vintage JO-HAN factory sealed plastic kit of a American motors 1966 Marlin
- Giant Hung Lilo & Stitch toy Stuffed Plush soft Doll Pillow Valentine gift 35'
- RC Tamiya Decal The Grasshopper II 58074 NEU NIB 1988
- Horse - 28x25x8mm - Light Brown
- Gemini 200 G2ASA059 - Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-800 N569AS - new in box
- WW2 Aircraft, War Master, M26 Pershing Detroit Arsenal USA 1960, 1 72 Scale
- Ty Beanie Babies Bundle of 78 SOME RARE buddies, teenies retired peace job lot
- Wwe wrestling SERIE DEFINING MOMENTS JOHN CENA
- McFarlane's Dragons Series 2 BERSERKER DRAGON CLAN New Rare spawn
- Mini times toys P-004 1 6 Female Sexy Leather Coat&Skirt Clothing Set
- DC Comics VARIANT Batman Rogues Gallery Mr Freeze Play Arts Kai Collectible Gift
- GO NAGAI ROBOT COLLECTION 42 GENERAL YURI CAESAR THE GREAT MAZINGA FIGURE
- Testors 450011 Hot Metal Kit gold Series Ford Coupe 1949 1 24 New & Sealed
- Futaba Gyro-SMM Dual Axis P-GY352
- Learning with Tangle Brain Tools Book by Tangle Creations (13400). Free Delivery
- Almost Real 1 18 Defender 90 Land Rover Camel cup
- Sunbeam Alpine Th Rally Montecarlo 1965 P.Harper I.Hall SPARK 1 43 S4061
- Detailcars 1 43 - Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Mille Miglia 1956
- K.O. Transformers VERY RARE MOSC 2 in 1 Transformable Fighter
- Rey Mysterio WWE Elite Ringside Collectables Exclusive The Flash WrestleMania XX
- Doktor A Mechtorians STEPHEN LE PODD 8 VINYL ART FIGURE MINDstyle kidrobot OG
- Vac man-Cap Toys stretch Armstrong Excellent Condition boxed With Instruction
- Marvel Studios First Ten Years TONY STARK & IRON MAN MARK I Legends