The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Marvel Legends 7 lot ToyBiz Sentinel set Spiderman Panther SinisterClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
DC DIRECT DC COMICS STATUE Superman vs. Darkseid 32 CMMarvel Legends Fin Fang Foom 16 inch BAF Build a Figure complete rareGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) BATMAN CLASSIC COLLECTION TWO-FACE MAQUETTE BY TWEETERHEADsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Diamond Select Symbiote Spiderman on Mailbox Statue 266 10001974 MEGO SUPERMAN 19 SUPER SOFTIES DOLL MIB Rare
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Eaglemoss Marvel The Classic Figurine Collection Issue 52 The Lizard
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Vintage Kenner Super Powers Mr. Freeze 1986 MOC AFA 80 80 85DC COMICS Suicide Squad Harley Quinn 1 6 Figura De Acción 12 Hot Toys MMS383GI Joe Battle Corps Beach-head 1992 MOC
Thunder Snow (20-1):Hot Toys Iron Man Python 1 6th Scale Figure This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Giants Of Albion (Bologs) Dogs Of War, Regiments of Renowned Warhammer Unpainted
- Eduard Big Ed Définit 1 32 - F-4e - (edbig3202)
- Giant Teddy Bear 130cm Great Present Kid Surprise Large Cuddly Teddy KJ- White
- DAN GURNEY 1 18 FIGURE BY VROOM 3D FOR EXOTO SHELBY COLLECTIBLES 1 18
- Vintage Mego Micronauts YELLOW TIME TRAVELER LOT of 3 complete 1976 Hong Kong
- KOTOBUKIYA ARTFX+ STAR WARS The Force Awakens POE DAMERON & BB8 1 6 STATUE SW12
- Arsenal of Doom Spawn McFarlane Toys Fish Tank Special Edition Action Figure
- MECHANICAL PICTURE - WOODEN CITY 3D Mechanical Wooden model
- Heco Miniatures 1 43 1956 Ferrari 290MM Yellow
- IXO Fiat 131 Panorama 1975 Rally Service Assistance Vehicle - 1 43 Scale
- Matchbox NBA Dodge Viper Set van 8 mint in blister
- Lego 60051 Train Power Functions
- WWe Superstar Collection Then Now Forever Figure Wrestling
- 15414 FIGURINE STATUETTE FEE ELFE ASSISE HEROIC FANTASY LES ALPES NADA
- New DC Universe Classics Signature Colelciton Series Collection HUNTRESS Figure
- GW Warhammer Orcs & Goblins - RRD3 Harboth Orc Archer reg inc command(metal) x10