The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
AMT ERTL 1 25 Peterbilt 359Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
AIRBRUSH & COMPRESSOR DEAL AB602 Dual action EXPO TOOLSMPC Space 1999 Rescue Eagle Prebuilt Display Model - Ltd Ed 850 PcsGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Trumpeter 1 32 - Boeingf-18f Super Hornet - 132 Fa18f Jet Plane Model Kitsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Billing Boats Cux 87 Krabbencutter (B474) Model Boat KitVINTAGE AIRFIX MODEL SUBMARINE USS FLASHER
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Occre San Francisco Cable Car 1 24 Scale 53007 Wooden Model Kit
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Traxxas EZ Peak Live, 100W, NiMH LiPo blueetooth ID Charger - O-TRX2971TTRU05102 - Trumpeter 1 35 - Mil Mi-17 Hip-H HelicopterTamiya 58588 Toyota FJ Cruiser - CC01 RC Car Kit (CAR WITHOUT ESC)
Thunder Snow (20-1):Revell 06052 1 2700 Star Destroyer Limited Edition Model BNIB This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- D&D Collector's Series Adult Red Dragon
- New Strawbees Coding & Robotics Kit SB-035
- Moi, ugly and villain 2 set of 6 stuffed Les Minions 18 cm 6 modèLes different
- DE76 Toy 5G XS812 RC Drone Quadcopter Outdoor 2.4G 4CH 6-Axis 720P UAV
- Slingerspiel Open Air Game, New
- John Deere 1270G 6W Harvester Green, Model Car 1 3 2 Schuco
- CORGI Limited Edition WILSON MCCURDY IRELAND CoA No. 404 1000 1 50
- 4 Retired Christmas TY AtticTreasures Klaus Peppermint Spruce And Jangle
- LJN Mean Gene Okerlund Announcer figure
- KENNER BATMAN THE ANIMATED MOVIE PHANTASM FANTASMA ACTION FIGURE
- Maitres de l'Univers MOTU Classics loose - Blast Attak
- MARVEL URBAN LEGENDS BOX SET SERIES THE PUNISHER ACTION FIGURE 2004 CLASSICS
- Warhammer Daemon Bloodletters Khorne PRO Painted Metal Miniatures Lot Of 9 RARE
- Trumpeter 1 32 Messerschmitt Bf109G-6 Late
- Scalextric C2161 Williams FW20 No1 Mint Unused
- Monopoly House - 12x13x12mm - bluee
- LOOK WSI 01-2384 - Mercedes Benz Actros SLT with Nooteboom - Felber Transport
- 1990 Porsche 911 964 Carrera Cabriolet Congreenible Slub 1 43 Minichamps 252 Pcs
- Busch 95535 Espewe Ifa L60 Etk Deutsche post 1 87 (H0)
- LEGO Classic 10694 LEGO Creative Supplement Bright
- Transformers Generations Titans Return Dreadnaut & Decepticon Overlord Brand New
- SCHLEICH ORACLE New in box RETIRED
- Small Dice Board Mat on reverse
- DC NANO METALFIGS - Batman Error - Batman v Superman on Desert Batman Card DC1 2