The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
KING AND COUNTRY WW2 German Kneeling Panzer Grenadier WH081Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
William Britains Officer, Grenadier Guards Camel Regiment 1884-1885 44019Britains From Set 19 First West India Regiment 2nd Version 11 FiguresGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) King & Country Australian Kneeling Ready (New South Wales) WWI FW192 NSWsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
BRITAINS DEETAIL 1970s, WW2 US ARMY INFANTRY GI, 22 SOLDIERS WITH MORTAR CREW.BRITAINS 20027 ZULU WAR BRITISH 24TH FOOT LIEUTENANT GONVILLE BROMHEAD FIGURE
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.BRITAINS Lead Soldiers Set 115 Egyptian Cavalry post 1925 in original box
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
THE UNITED STATES ARMY BAND OF WASHINGTON DC PERSHINGS OWN LIMITED EDITIONB16029 W.Britain Loyalist Butler's Ranger Kneeling at Ready Clash of EmpiresKING AND COUNTRY Red Army Dead Russians WW2 RA69 RA069
Thunder Snow (20-1):Britains 43103 The Band of the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards, in outer box This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- WARHAMMER SKAVEN SCREAMING BELL
- KING AND COUNTRY 8th Army General Bernard L.Montgomery WW2 EA109
- Genuine Audi R8 V10 Plus - Model Car Kit
- SCHUCO 1 64 Benz 220 8 Police Car Die Cast
- RESIDENT EVIL OPERATION RACOON LUPO 24cm PVC Figur by Square Enix
- 14231 FIGURINE FEE BB + TIGRE 35CM HEROIC FANTASY LES ALPES FATA NADA FIN
- Batmobile Batman Future Boxed Unplayed Rare Lights Up Action Figure
- Peak Power Plant LiPo 4s 14.8v 4000mAh 45c - Deans PEK00554
- Vintage - ED. STRAKER'S CAR - Dinky toys 352 MIB
- Porsche Carrera No.17 Mobil 1 Supercup Champion 2015 (Philipp Eng)
- GREENLIGHT 1 43 SKYLER WHITES JEEP GRAND WAGONEER BREAKING BAD CHASE GREEN TYRES
- LEGO STAR WARS 75051, Jedi Scout Fighter - Complete, 4 minifigs & instructions
- TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE CLASSICS DELUXE AUTOBOT SMOKESCREEN - UNOPENED ON CARD
- All Original LINEMAR Smoking Robot Made In Japan 1960
- 1 10 BUST Resin Figure Model Kit Claus von Stauffenberg. Operation Valkyrie
- WWII Sam Korean War Scout Sniper Heartbreak Ridge 1951 Dragon 12 Figure
- 1984 DC COMICS SUPER POWERS SERIES BATMOBILE CAR
- Greenhills Carrera Porsche 917K No.16 Sebring 1970 Ref.27527 - BNIB - 19990, ...
- AF39 Premium 2.4GHz Speed Adjustable Aircraft Altitude Hold One Key Take Off
- 2x Magnetic Tablet Magnet Drawing Writing Board Math Number Toy Educational
- JC Wings 1 72 JCW72F15001 F-15J Eagle 306th Tactical Fighter Sq Komatsu Air Base
- UH MASSEY FERGUSON ROUND BALER 720V DUSTY CONVERSION 4886 UNIVERSAL HOBBIES
- Kharadron Overlords Arkanaut Ironclad BNIB
- KOTOBUKIYA FRAME ARMS NSG-12a KOBOLD RE 1 100 Plastic Model Kit NEW
- LEGO 4403 Designer Set - Air Blazers - BNIB
- TRANSFORMERS ANIMATED SHADOW BLADE MEGATRON, Leader 2008
- 2010 GIJoe Air Adventurer Helicopter, 3.75, Convention Exclusive
- Action Figure Dc Comics Multiverse Justice League Superman Action Figure 6 Toy