The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
DIAMOND SELECT VENOM X-MEN MARVEL SELECT SPIDER-MANClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Gundam Avalanche Exia 1 100 Scale Model KitAvengers age of ultron- Iron man Mark 43 with light 30 cm mark XLII led 12 Gormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) General ZOD Action Figure--Official Limited Edition by MEGO (1473 8000)since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
DC Collectibles DC New 52 Earth 2 Flash Action FigureDC Comics Super-Heroes Toybiz Superman MINT ON CARD Kenner
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.NEW DC Comics Icons Lex Luthor Statue Supermans Foe Justice League Limited Ed
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
MARVEL LEGENDS MCFARLANE RARE SUPER POSEABLE SPIDERMAN CLASSIC YEAR 2004 TOY BIZAstérix et Obélix Statuette Panoramix 16 cm statue numéredée Attakus buste 02638DC AQUAMAN MOVIE OCEAN MASTER PVC GALLERY STATUE PREORDER
Thunder Snow (20-1):KOTOBUKIYA DC COMICS NEW 52 ARTFX BATMAN PVC STATUE NEW SEXY This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Italeri Allied And French Soldiers figures Napoleonics Wars 1 32 Scale Rare
- THOMAS GUNN ROM087A ROMAN LEGIONNAIRE ENGINEER WITH SHOVEL WIPING BROW + SHIELD
- Tamiya TA06 1 10 Electric Touring Car
- Chessboard - Anigre with numbers and letters - Width 52cm - Field size 55cm
- FRENCH DINKY TOYS MODEL No.890 BERLIET T6 TANK TRANSPORTER WITH GLAZING VN MIB
- McFarlane NBA Series 6 Karl Malone Chase Variant Retro White Action Figure A
- Boba Fett 1979 STAR WARS Complete VINTAGE Original A3 HK Coo GREAT color TIGHT
- DC Multiverse 4 Inch Arkham City Azrael Action Figure - MOC
- HOTWHEELS FERRARI F2001 RUBENS BARRICHELLO 2001 LAUNCH EDITION MIB 1 18
- Bd336-0, 5 x Wiking H0 1 87 Lorry MB 543 Zimbo + 542 2 Michelin, NIP
- Transformers mastermind creations r-01 terminus hexatron misb
- WCW STING blueE TIGHTS RARE
- Mini times toys 1 6 MT-M008 US Navy SEAL Team Six Solider Male Action Figure
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 - Drax & Baby Groot Marvel Select Action Figure
- 25mm roman era sarmatian - heavy 12 figures - cav (33564)
- MPC MPC869 1 25 1970 Dodge Cgoldnet Super Bee
- Vintage scalextric CARRERA EVOLUTION FERRARI F2002 V10 BNIB SEE PHOTOS
- Ravensburger Puzzle Puzzles Harmony Jungle Jungle Animals Harmony Wild Oasis
- 462H Trofeu Tour of Corse 1975 Alpine A110 & 35 1 43